While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Solar Capital Dividend Yield: 8.20% Solar Capital (NASDAQ: SLRC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.20%. Solar Capital Ltd. is a business development company specializing in investments in leveraged middle market companies. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.17. The average volume for Solar Capital has been 375,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Solar Capital has a market cap of $826.8 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 13.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Solar Capital as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 131515.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$0.01 million to $17.08 million.
- The gross profit margin for SOLAR CAPITAL LTD is currently very high, coming in at 70.54%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 61.00% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- SLRC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 2.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 28.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- SOLAR CAPITAL LTD has shown improvement in its earnings for its most recently reported quarter when compared with the same quarter a year earlier. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD reported lower earnings of $1.70 versus $3.12 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 8.2% in earnings ($1.56 versus $1.70).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Solar Capital Ratings Report.
- STON's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- Net operating cash flow has remained constant at $9.69 million with no significant change when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, STONEMOR PARTNERS LP has modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -3.80%.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Consumer Services industry and the overall market, STONEMOR PARTNERS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.04 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, STON has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 1.72, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full Stonemor Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 2.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 42.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO is rather high; currently it is at 51.57%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NGPC's net profit margin of -0.58% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO reported lower earnings of $0.19 versus $0.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.43 versus $0.19).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 100.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.51 million to -$0.03 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full NGP Capital Resources Company Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.