While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Aviv REIT Dividend Yield: 5.30% Aviv REIT (NYSE: AVIV) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.30%. No company description available. The company has a P/E ratio of 33.81. The average volume for Aviv REIT has been 298,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Aviv REIT has a market cap of $1.3 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 16% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Aviv REIT as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, AVIV REIT INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for AVIV REIT INC is rather high; currently it is at 50.79%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AVIV's net profit margin of 15.65% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 31.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $9.92 million to $6.76 million.
- You can view the full Aviv REIT Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST is rather low; currently it is at 18.75%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 8.90% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $38.84 million or 14.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Piedmont Office Realty Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.33, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.49, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- CVR REFINING LP's earnings per share declined by 47.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CVR REFINING LP increased its bottom line by earning $4.00 versus $2.53 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.11 versus $4.00).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $199.20 million or 12.50% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, CVR REFINING LP has marginally lower results.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 46.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $339.21 million to $180.00 million.
- You can view the full CVR Refining Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.