While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Preferred Apartment Communities Dividend Yield: 7.20% Preferred Apartment Communities (AMEX: APTS) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.20%. Preferred Apartment Communities, Inc. is a real estate investment trust launched and managed by Preferred Apartment Advisors, LLC. The fund invests in real estate markets of the United States. It primarily acquires and operates multifamily apartment properties. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.78. The average volume for Preferred Apartment Communities has been 99,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Preferred Apartment Communities has a market cap of $153.4 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 11.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Preferred Apartment Communities as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has experienced relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- APTS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 57.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS reported poor results of -$2.00 versus -$0.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.09 versus -$2.00).
- In its most recent trading session, APTS has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Preferred Apartment Communities Ratings Report.
- EFC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ELLINGTON FINANCIAL LLC is currently very high, coming in at 73.45%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 99.76% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- ELLINGTON FINANCIAL LLC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ELLINGTON FINANCIAL LLC reported lower earnings of $3.46 versus $5.32 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 12.2% in earnings ($3.04 versus $3.46).
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, ELLINGTON FINANCIAL LLC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Ellington Financial Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $30.65 million or 5.60% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -5.24%.
- The gross profit margin for EV ENERGY PARTNERS LP is rather high; currently it is at 65.31%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -10.09% is in-line with the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, EV ENERGY PARTNERS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 127.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $32.85 million to -$9.02 million.
- You can view the full EV Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.