NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Chevron Corp. (CVX) are slightly lower in pre-market trade at $123.49 as the company had coverage initiated with a "neutral" rating at JPMorgan with a price target of $133.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CHEVRON CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CHEVRON CORP (CVX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels, increase in net income and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- CVX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 5.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $5,365.00 million to $5,665.00 million.
- CVX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.15 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.99 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- CHEVRON CORP has improved earnings per share by 7.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CHEVRON CORP reported lower earnings of $11.09 versus $13.32 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 2.5% in earnings ($10.82 versus $11.09).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CVX Ratings Report