Aviary is a developer of mobile SDKs (software development kits) that power photo-editing apps on Apple (AAPL) iPhones and Google (GOOG) Android devices. Adobe said the acquisition will accelerate its strategy "to make Creative Cloud a vibrant platform for third-party apps, through a new Creative SDK."
"This is great news for developers because thousands of mobile apps will have the opportunity to become compatible with industry-defining desktop tools like Photoshop CC, as well as new Creative Cloud services," Adobe vice president of Creative Cloud Ecosystem & Behance Scott Belsky said in a statement.
Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ADOBE SYSTEMS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ADOBE SYSTEMS INC (ADBE) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ADBE's revenue growth trails the industry average of 11.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- ADBE's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.22 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, ADBE has a quick ratio of 1.80, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, ADBE's share price has jumped by 29.15%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 46.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $83.00 million to $44.69 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, ADOBE SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ADBE Ratings Report