NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (TKMR) shares are up 12.8% to $22.74 after the company announced that U.S. and Canadian regulators have green lighted the use of its treatment, TKM-Ebola, for patients with confirmed or suspected cases of Ebola.
The company said that its treatment has already been used in emergency cases and has been generally been well tolerated by patients.
The company is developing TKM-Ebola in conjunction with the U.S. Defense Department.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
"Tekmira is reporting that an appropriate regulatory and clinical framework is now in place to allow the use of TKM-Ebola in patients. We have worked with the FDA and Health Canada to establish this framework and a treatment protocol allowing us to do what we can to help these patients," said Tekmira's President and CEO Dr. Mark J. Murray.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TEKMIRA PHARMACEUTICALS CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TEKMIRA PHARMACEUTICALS CORP (TKMR) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TEKMIRA PHARMACEUTICALS CORP's earnings per share declined by 27.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, TEKMIRA PHARMACEUTICALS CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.96 versus $1.87 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 95.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$3.11 million to -$6.08 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, TEKMIRA PHARMACEUTICALS CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$8.01 million or 173.84% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 43.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 38.2%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TKMR Ratings Report