While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."AG Mortgage Investment Dividend Yield: 12.90% AG Mortgage Investment (NYSE: MITT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 12.90%. AG Mortgage Investment Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust, focuses on investing, acquiring, and managing a portfolio of residential mortgage assets, other real estate-related securities, and financial assets. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.40. The average volume for AG Mortgage Investment has been 201,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. AG Mortgage Investment has a market cap of $528.5 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 19.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates AG Mortgage Investment as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that we feel that the company's cash flow from its operations has been weak overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MITT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 214.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, AG MORTGAGE INVESTMENT TRUST has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- AG MORTGAGE INVESTMENT TRUST reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AG MORTGAGE INVESTMENT TRUST swung to a loss, reporting -$1.60 versus $7.34 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.45 versus -$1.60).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $25.56 million or 38.84% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full AG Mortgage Investment Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 37.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- RESOURCE CAPITAL CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RESOURCE CAPITAL CORP reported lower earnings of $0.33 versus $0.72 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.42 versus $0.33).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RESOURCE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$5.28 million or 122.52% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Resource Capital Ratings Report.
- RNO's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.08 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that RNO's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.61, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- RNO, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 14.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The share price of RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP has not done very well: it is down 6.46% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The gross profit margin for RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP is rather low; currently it is at 17.15%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -12.30% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $1.82 million or 90.15% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Rhino Resource Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.