- PWE has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $13.3 million.
- PWE has traded 2.2 million shares today.
- PWE is trading at 21.41 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- PWE is trading at a new high 11.06% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PWE with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PWE NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PWE: Penn West Petroleum Ltd., an exploration and production company, acquires, explores, develops, exploits, and holds interests in petroleum and natural gas properties and related assets in western Canada. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 7.3%. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Penn West Petroleum a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Penn West Petroleum has been 2.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Penn West has a market cap of $3.5 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are down 13.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Penn West Petroleum as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, feeble growth in its earnings per share and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $232.00 million or 9.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD has marginally lower results.
- PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD swung to a loss, reporting -$1.71 versus $0.37 in the prior year.
- PWE's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 38.29%, which is also worse than the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to not be hurting the bottom line, shown by stable earnings per share.
- You can view the full Penn West Petroleum Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.