NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of E I Du Pont De Nemours and Co. (DD) were upgraded to "overweight" from "neutral" at JPMorgan after activist investor Trian delivered a letter to the company's board suggesting a break-up into three business units.
The firm raised its price target for shares to $75 from $67, saying it sees potential upside as management defends the current business model.
The stock is up 0.81% to $69.81 in pre-market trading.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates DU PONT (E I) DE NEMOURS as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate DU PONT (E I) DE NEMOURS (DD) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry average. The net income increased by 3.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $1,030.00 million to $1,070.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.69, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.20, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 872.22% to $350.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DU PONT (E I) DE NEMOURS has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -14.28%.
- DU PONT (E I) DE NEMOURS's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, DU PONT (E I) DE NEMOURS increased its bottom line by earning $3.04 versus $2.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.02 versus $3.04).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DD Ratings Report