Strategy To YieldBoost FF To 11.2% Using Options

Shareholders of FutureFuel Corp (FF) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the February 2015 covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the 40 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but FF shares would have to advance 18.5% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 21.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of FutureFuel Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for FF below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.8% annualized dividend yield.

FF+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing FF's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February 2015 covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for FutureFuel Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $12.74) to be 42%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the FF Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 477,285 contracts, with call volume at 886,867, for a put:call ratio of 0.54 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

Abiomed Stock Should Rise Some 12% From Here, Piper Jaffray Analyst Says

Abiomed Stock Should Rise Some 12% From Here, Piper Jaffray Analyst Says

Video: Here Is Why Carvana Isn't Worried About Amazon

Video: Here Is Why Carvana Isn't Worried About Amazon

Video: What Oprah's Content Partnership With Apple Means for the Rest of Tech

Video: What Oprah's Content Partnership With Apple Means for the Rest of Tech

REPLAY: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Oil, Starbucks, Tesla, Okta and Red Hat

REPLAY: Jim Cramer on the Markets, Oil, Starbucks, Tesla, Okta and Red Hat