- MPC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $295.0 million.
- MPC has traded 1.0 million shares today.
- MPC is trading at 1.71 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- MPC crossed below its 200-day simple moving average.
'Roof Leaker' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakdown can lead to potentially massive losses. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock may then be subject to emotional selling from investors that can continue to drive the stock lower. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with weakness and volume it can indicate the start of a new, potentially dangerous, trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MPC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MPC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MPC: Marathon Petroleum Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, is engaged in refining, transporting, and marketing petroleum products primarily in the United States. It operates through three segments: Refining & Marketing, Speedway, and Pipeline Transportation. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.3%. MPC has a PE ratio of 14.2. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Marathon Petroleum a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Marathon Petroleum has been 3.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Marathon has a market cap of $25.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.47 and a short float of 1.7% with 1.97 days to cover. Shares are down 3.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Marathon Petroleum as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MPC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 61.20% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 30.40% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, MPC should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 44.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $593.00 million to $855.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 301.37% to $878.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -5.07%.
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.