While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Baytex Energy Dividend Yield: 6.50% Baytex Energy (NYSE: BTE) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.50%. Baytex Energy Corp., an oil and gas company, is engaged in the acquisition, development, and production of oil and natural gas in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin and the United States. The company offers heavy oil, light oil, and natural gas liquids. The company has a P/E ratio of 27.21. The average volume for Baytex Energy has been 257,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Baytex Energy has a market cap of $6.7 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 4.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Baytex Energy as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, expanding profit margins and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 30.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for BAYTEX ENERGY CORP is rather high; currently it is at 66.13%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 10.10% is above that of the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 1.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $36.19 million to $36.80 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, BAYTEX ENERGY CORP's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $152.09 million or 5.12% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, BAYTEX ENERGY CORP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Baytex Energy Ratings Report.
- CMO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $64.50 million or 1.62% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 17.00%.
- CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP reported lower earnings of $0.93 versus $1.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.42 versus $0.93).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Capstead Mortgage Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $124.37 million or 21.91% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -2.69%.
- UIL HOLDINGS CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UIL HOLDINGS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.18 versus $2.02 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.29 versus $2.18).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electric Utilities industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $17.93 million to $9.30 million.
- The gross profit margin for UIL HOLDINGS CORP is rather low; currently it is at 21.88%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 2.77% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full UIL Holdings Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.