Shareholders of Centerstate Banks, Inc. (CSFL - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2015 covered call at the $12.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 25 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $12.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CSFL shares would have to advance 18.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 21.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Centerstate Banks, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CSFL below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.4% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing CSFL's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $12.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2015 covered call at the $12.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $12.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Centerstate Banks, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $10.50) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the CSFL Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 609,960 contracts, with call volume at 1.09M, for a put:call ratio of 0.56 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Chart of the Day: Sizing Up the Huawei Hit to Semiconductor Stocks
Not all semiconductor stocks are poised to experience the same headwind from Huawei.
Some Patterns on Nordstrom Show Promise but This Is Not a Base Yet
Let's check out the charts and indicators ahead of Tuesday's earnings.
Stocks Decline as Tech Shares Pressured by Huawei Fallout
Stocks wilt Monday as the U.S. tech sector gets hit following the blacklisting of Huawei Technologies.
Here's Why I'm Drawn Toward Specialty Retail Stocks Like Lowe's
Although not completely immune to tariffs and Trade Wars, I could see LOW...escaping relatively unscathed.
Huawei Ban Might Offer Opportunity to Non-U.S. Semiconductor Companies
Given the sidestepping of trade restrictions for the European chipmakers, they could be poised to fill the void left by larger U.S. competitors that have long been dominant in the region.