Shareholders of FreightCar America Inc (RAIL - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.00 bid, which annualizes to an additional 22.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 22.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but RAIL shares would have to advance 1.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 7.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of FreightCar America Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for RAIL below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.7% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing RAIL's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for FreightCar America Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $34.34) to be 35%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the RAIL Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 599,735 contracts, with call volume at 1.14M, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Just Don't Do It: Nike Leads Push Against 'Catastrophic' Shoe Tariffs
Nike lead a group of athletic apparel and shoe companies in an effort late Monday to urge President Donald Trump to reconsider placing tariffs on footwear made in China and imported into the United States, calling the levies a "catastrophic" move that will cost U.S. consumers $7 billion a year.
Dow Futures Gain, Global Tech Rebounds, as US Eases Restrictions on Huawei
Global stocks snapped back Tuesday, reversing much of the previous day's decline, following a move by the Commerce Department to ease restrictions on China's Huawei Technologies ability to do business with U.S. firms that soothed investor concern of an all-out tech war between Washington and Beijing.