NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Molson Coors Brewing Co. (TAP - Get Report) are higher by 7.27% to $77.02 on Monday morning, as beer brewing stocks get a boost from SABMiller's (SBMRY) offer to acquire the Netherlands-based beer manufacturer and seller, Heineken.
Heineken turned down SABMiller's offer, issuing a statement on Sunday saying it intends to remain an independent company.
Heineken's founding family owns over 50% of the company through Heineken Holding, Reuters reports. Mexico's beverage company FEMSA owns another 12.5%.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
SABMiller's offer is said to be an attempt by the brewing company to protect itself from a possible takeover by Anheuser-Busch (BUD) , sources told Bloomberg.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates MOLSON COORS BREWING CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate MOLSON COORS BREWING CO (TAP) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 43.99% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TAP should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- MOLSON COORS BREWING CO has improved earnings per share by 8.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MOLSON COORS BREWING CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.96 versus $2.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.37 versus $2.96).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Beverages industry average. The net income increased by 8.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $267.30 million to $290.90 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 4.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TAP Ratings Report
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.