NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- JetBlue Airways (JBLU) shares are down 2.5% to $12.16 on Tuesday after analysts at Credit Suisse (CS) started coverage with an "underperform" rating as a result of its view that the airline will not be able to meet elevated expectations due to changes in strategy and management.
"Share outperformance (+66%) and multiple analyst upgrades since late April have centered primarily on optimism for a CEO/strategy change and earnings upside from fare unbundling, but we see little change to JetBlue's hybrid growth strategy. We are less bullish on the level of incremental earnings from fare family/ancillary revenue," said analysts.
TheStreet Ratings team rates JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP (JBLU) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 518.18% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 101.04% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.51 versus $0.39 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.69 versus $0.51).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Airlines industry. The net income increased by 538.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $36.00 million to $230.00 million.
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 47.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JBLU Ratings Report
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.