Strategy To YieldBoost IIIN To 11.8% Using Options

Shareholders of Insteel Industries, Inc. (IIIN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $25 strike and collect the premium based on the 95 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $25 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IIIN shares would have to climb 6.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Insteel Industries, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for IIIN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.5% annualized dividend yield.

IIIN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing IIIN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $25 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $25 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $25. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Insteel Industries, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $23.63) to be 35%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IIIN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Video: Here's How Global Stocks Can Boost Your Portfolio

Video: Here's How Global Stocks Can Boost Your Portfolio

Get to Know Stacey Cunningham, the NYSE's First Female Leader in 226 Years

Get to Know Stacey Cunningham, the NYSE's First Female Leader in 226 Years

Oil Prices, China Tariffs, Micron and Kohl's - 5 Things You Must Know

Oil Prices, China Tariffs, Micron and Kohl's - 5 Things You Must Know

Video: When Planning for Retirement, Don't Underestimate Your Life Span

Video: When Planning for Retirement, Don't Underestimate Your Life Span

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around