Interesting January 2015 Stock Options for MMM

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is 3M Co ( MMM). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2015 expiration for MMM. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $125 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 84 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 0.7% return against the $125 commitment, or a 1.9% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MMM Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to MMM's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless 3M Co sees its shares fall 13.9% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $124.16 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 84 cents from $125), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 1.9% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2015 expiration, for shareholders of 3M Co ( MMM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.4% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $150 strike and collecting the premium based on the $2.41 bid, annualizes to an additional 4.6% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $150 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MMM shares would have to advance 3.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MMM Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for 3M Co, highlighting in green where the $125 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $150 strike in red:

If you liked this article you might like

Crazy Weak U.S. Dollar Will Make These 10 Companies Huge Winners

Dow, S&P 500 Set New Records as Fed Moves to Unwind Balance Sheet

Stocks In Negative Territory as Chances for December Hike Surge

The Wait for 'Milestone' Fed Meeting Keeps Stocks in Flux

Stock Futures Trade Flat as Balance Sheet Decision From Fed Is Awaited