The firm says it initiated coverage on the offshore drilling contractor as it believes oil prices are too low for the company to produce satisfactory returns for investors.
Canaccord also said it believes the company will cut its dividend due to the likelihood "benign debt markets will not persist amid a backdrop of few new contracts."STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
"We expect a decision to skip dividends is likely in the next six to nine months. We also see a risk that development projects (e.g. Russia) are delayed or canceled," the firm added.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates SEADRILL LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SEADRILL LTD (SDRL) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, SEADRILL LTD's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SEADRILL LTD is rather high; currently it is at 58.59%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 49.59% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- SDRL, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 20.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- SEADRILL LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SEADRILL LTD increased its bottom line by earning $5.47 versus $2.32 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 44.4% in earnings ($3.04 versus $5.47).
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 25.01%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 64.87% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp decline over the past year may have been what was needed in order to bring its value into alignment with its fundamentals and others in its industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SDRL Ratings Report
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.