While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Old Republic International Corporation Dividend Yield: 4.90% Old Republic International Corporation (NYSE: ORI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.90%. Old Republic International Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in underwriting insurance products primarily in the United States and Canada. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.39. The average volume for Old Republic International Corporation has been 1,571,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Old Republic International Corporation has a market cap of $3.9 billion and is part of the insurance industry. Shares are down 13.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Old Republic International Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ORI's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, OLD REPUBLIC INTL CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- ORI, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 19.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Old Republic International Corporation Ratings Report.
- DFT's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 77.77% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 27.79% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, DFT should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- 40.91% is the gross profit margin for DUPONT FABROS TECHNOLOGY INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 27.38% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 95.22% to $74.14 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DUPONT FABROS TECHNOLOGY INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 17.20%.
- You can view the full Dupont Fabros Technology Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 2.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $213.40 million to $218.89 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- HCP INC's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HCP INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.98 versus $1.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.02 versus $1.98).
- The gross profit margin for HCP INC is rather high; currently it is at 59.87%. Regardless of HCP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HCP's net profit margin of 39.73% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Net operating cash flow has remained constant at $360.52 million with no significant change when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite stable cash flow, HCP INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 17.20%.
- You can view the full HCP Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.