While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."Brookfield Property Partners Dividend Yield: 4.70% Brookfield Property Partners (NYSE: BPY) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.70%. Brookfield Property Partners L.P. owns, operates, and invests in commercial properties in North America, Europe, Australia, and Brazil. The company has a P/E ratio of 7.15. The average volume for Brookfield Property Partners has been 590,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Brookfield Property Partners has a market cap of $5.2 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 8.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Brookfield Property Partners as a sell. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been very high debt management risk by most measures. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 4.63 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.45, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Management & Development industry and the overall market, BROOKFIELD PROPERTY PRTRS LP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- BROOKFIELD PROPERTY PRTRS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Management & Development industry. The net income increased by 609.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$53.00 million to $270.00 million.
- You can view the full Brookfield Property Partners Ratings Report.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Regardless of the rise in share value over the previous year, we feel that the risks involved in investing in this stock do not compensate for any future upside potential.
- ARTISAN PARTNERS ASSET MGMT has improved earnings per share by 10.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARTISAN PARTNERS ASSET MGMT reported poor results of -$1.95 versus $0.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.35 versus -$1.95).
- Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, ARTISAN PARTNERS ASSET MGMT's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 39.12% is the gross profit margin for ARTISAN PARTNERS ASSET MGMT which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.23% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $87.89 million or 16.39% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, ARTISAN PARTNERS ASSET MGMT has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -89.11%.
- You can view the full Artisan Partners Asset Management Ratings Report.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 30.41%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 101.21% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Despite the heavy decline in its share price, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 92.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $146.00 million to $10.90 million.
- The gross profit margin for CLIFFS NATURAL RESOURCES INC is rather low; currently it is at 21.56%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.99% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$41.90 million or 110.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- CLF's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.61 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that CLF's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.57 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- You can view the full Cliffs Natural Resources Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.