- UNIVERSAL SECURITY INSTRUMNT has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, UNIVERSAL SECURITY INSTRUMNT reported poor results of -$1.94 versus -$0.20 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1532.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.11 million to -$1.50 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, UNIVERSAL SECURITY INSTRUMNT's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for UNIVERSAL SECURITY INSTRUMNT is currently extremely low, coming in at 6.48%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -57.03% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The share price of UNIVERSAL SECURITY INSTRUMNT has not done very well: it is down 14.20% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Two out of the three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 30.89 points (-0.2%) at 17,068 as of Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014, 4:20 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,485 issues advancing vs. 1,589 declining with 141 unchanged. The Services sector as a whole closed the day up 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.1%. Top gainers within the Services sector included General Employment ( JOB), up 11.0%, Radio One ( ROIA), up 6.3%, QKL Stores ( QKLS), up 5.3%, Universal Security Instruments ( UUU), up 1.7% and Tiger Media ( IDI), up 21.3%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the sector higher today: Universal Security Instruments ( UUU) is one of the companies that pushed the Services sector higher today. Universal Security Instruments was up $0.07 (1.7%) to $4.05 on light volume. Throughout the day, 1,400 shares of Universal Security Instruments exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4,600 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $3.98-$4.05 after having opened the day at $4.00 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $3.98. Universal Security Instruments, Inc. designs, markets, and distributes safety and security products in the United States and internationally. Universal Security Instruments has a market cap of $9.2 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are down 8.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Universal Security Instruments a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Universal Security Instruments as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on UUU go as follows: