How To YieldBoost STC To 7.9% Using Options

Shareholders of Stewart Information Services Corp. (STC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the February 2015 covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.15 bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.6% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but STC shares would have to climb 8.6% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 12.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Stewart Information Services Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for STC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.3% annualized dividend yield.

STC+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing STC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February 2015 covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Stewart Information Services Corp. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $32.09) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the STC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 561,647 contracts, with call volume at 1.09M, for a put:call ratio of 0.51 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Tech Stocks Have You Baffled? Educate Yourself in Some Portfolio Diversification

Tech Stocks Have You Baffled? Educate Yourself in Some Portfolio Diversification

Alphabet Shares Rise on Earnings, Revenue Beat But Some Concerns Remain

Alphabet Shares Rise on Earnings, Revenue Beat But Some Concerns Remain

Semiconductor Stocks Get Smashed Again as Earnings Weakness Continues
Dow and Nasdaq Finish Lower as 10-Year Treasury Yield Hovers Near 3%

Dow and Nasdaq Finish Lower as 10-Year Treasury Yield Hovers Near 3%

Video: Jim Cramer on Trade Tariffs, Rising Rates, Kimberly Clark and Hasbro

Video: Jim Cramer on Trade Tariffs, Rising Rates, Kimberly Clark and Hasbro