While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Triangle Capital Corporation Dividend Yield: 7.90% Triangle Capital Corporation (NYSE: TCAP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.90%. Triangle Capital Corporation is a business development company specializing in private equity and mezzanine investments. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.15. The average volume for Triangle Capital Corporation has been 283,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Triangle Capital Corporation has a market cap of $767.8 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 0.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Triangle Capital Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 10.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $21.85 million to $24.20 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 79.50%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 97.01% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP has improved earnings per share by 10.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.94 versus $2.23 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.4% in earnings ($2.17 versus $2.94).
- TCAP, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Triangle Capital Corporation Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 30.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1.49 million to $1.94 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 135.72% to $4.69 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -89.11%.
- The gross profit margin for SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD is currently very high, coming in at 75.09%. Regardless of SUNS's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SUNS's net profit margin of 37.78% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD has improved earnings per share by 30.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD reported lower earnings of $1.11 versus $1.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.17 versus $1.11).
- You can view the full Solar Senior Capital Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CRT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 12.31, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 21.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $3.10 million to $3.77 million.
- The gross profit margin for CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. CRT has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CRT's net profit margin of 97.56% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Cross Timbers Royalty Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.