- The gross profit margin for VIRTUALSCOPICS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.24%. Regardless of VSCP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VSCP's net profit margin of -27.44% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- VSCP has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 19.62% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry and the overall market, VIRTUALSCOPICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- VSCP, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 21.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.1%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 66.23% to -$0.42 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, VIRTUALSCOPICS INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 67.34%.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices are trading down today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 42.44 points (-0.2%) at 17,080 as of Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014, 4:20 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,267 issues advancing vs. 1,750 declining with 176 unchanged. The Health Care sector as a whole closed the day down 0.4% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.2%. Top gainers within the Health Care sector included Aoxing Pharmaceutical ( AXN), up 2.7%, XTL Biopharmaceuticals ( XTLB), up 5.1%, SunLink Health Systems ( SSY), up 6.0%, Escalon Medical ( ESMC), up 5.0% and VirtualScopics ( VSCP), up 4.7%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the sector higher today: VirtualScopics ( VSCP) is one of the companies that pushed the Health Care sector higher today. VirtualScopics was up $0.19 (4.7%) to $4.31 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 19,045 shares of VirtualScopics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 5,600 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $3.95-$4.45 after having opened the day at $4.01 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.12. VirtualScopics, Inc. provides imaging solutions for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries. VirtualScopics has a market cap of $12.2 million and is part of the drugs industry. Shares are up 19.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates VirtualScopics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates VirtualScopics as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on VSCP go as follows: