NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- ANN (ANN) shares are up 5.4% to $42.17 on Tuesday following news that the company was consulting with advisers at JPMorgan (JPM) to "explore strategic alternatives," including a possible sale, according to a Reuters report.
The Ann Taylor parent company reported a year over year second quarter earnings decline of 6 cents per diluted share to 70 cents, while also lowering its full year sales guidance.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates ANN INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ANN INC (ANN) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ANN's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for ANN INC is rather high; currently it is at 52.35%. Regardless of ANN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.03% trails the industry average.
- ANN INC's earnings per share declined by 7.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ANN INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.19 versus $2.10 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 8.7% in earnings ($2.00 versus $2.19).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ANN Ratings Report
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.