While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Entergy (NYSE: ETR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.40%. Entergy Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, is engaged in the electric power production and retail electric distribution operations in the United States. It generates electricity through gas/oil, nuclear, coal, and hydro power. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.70. The average volume for Entergy has been 1,701,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Entergy has a market cap of $13.4 billion and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are up 17.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Entergy as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ETR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $761.41 million or 33.13% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -1.86%.
- ENTERGY CORP has improved earnings per share by 14.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ENTERGY CORP reported lower earnings of $3.98 versus $4.75 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.14 versus $3.98).
- You can view the full Entergy Ratings Report.
- BX's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 56.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for BLACKSTONE GROUP LP is rather high; currently it is at 53.06%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 22.89% is above that of the industry average.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 136.11% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 51.55% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, BX should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- BLACKSTONE GROUP LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BLACKSTONE GROUP LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.98 versus $0.40 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.87 versus $1.98).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 144.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $211.15 million to $517.02 million.
- You can view the full Blackstone Group Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 26.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Food Products industry. The net income increased by 1226.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.43 million to $16.14 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, B&G FOODS INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- B&G FOODS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, B&G FOODS INC reported lower earnings of $0.98 versus $1.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.57 versus $0.98).
- BGS has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 12.85% from its price level of one year ago. Despite the decline in its share price over the last year, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays compensate for this.
- You can view the full B&G Foods Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.