- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Services & Supplies industry and the overall market, PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.29%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.08% significantly trails the industry average.
- PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PERMA-FIX ENVIRONMENTAL SVCS reported poor results of -$3.03 versus -$0.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.46 versus -$3.03).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Commercial Services & Supplies industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 101.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$0.88 million to $0.01 million.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 4.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 44.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Industrial Goods sector as a whole closed the day up 0.4% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.3%. Laggards within the Industrial Goods sector included Intelligent Systems ( INS), down 2.8%, Art's-Way Manufacturing ( ARTW), down 1.9%, China Ceramics ( CCCL), down 2.9%, Perma-Fix Environmental Services ( PESI), down 2.5% and Comstock ( CHCI), down 1.7%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today: Perma-Fix Environmental Services ( PESI) is one of the companies that pushed the Industrial Goods sector lower today. Perma-Fix Environmental Services was down $0.10 (2.5%) to $3.91 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 49,963 shares of Perma-Fix Environmental Services exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 12,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $3.82-$3.92 after having opened the day at $3.92 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.01. Perma-Fix Environmental Services, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as an environmental and technology know-how company in the United States. It operates through two segments, Treatment and Services. Perma-Fix Environmental Services has a market cap of $48.1 million and is part of the automotive industry. Shares are up 35.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Perma-Fix Environmental Services a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Perma-Fix Environmental Services as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on PESI go as follows: