NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) closed up 3.24% to $12.73 on very heavy trading volume after Cowen & Co. (COWN) earlier today applauded an expected change in the air carrier's strategy, in which it will start favoring shareholders over customers, according to MarketWatch.
Analyst Helane Becker raised her investment rating on the airline's stock to "outperform" from "market perform", and raised her price target to $15 -- about 18% above current prices -- from $10.
She believes JetBlue could make a management change at the top that leads to a shift in its philosophy, in which a customer's comfort may be sacrificed to cut costs and improve the bottom line.
Shares of JetBlue are slightly higher in after-hours trading.
TheStreet Ratings team rates JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP (JBLU) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 518.18% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 85.53% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.51 versus $0.39 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.69 versus $0.51).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Airlines industry. The net income increased by 538.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $36.00 million to $230.00 million.
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 50.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JBLU Ratings Report