- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 161.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.22 million to -$0.13 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, LIGHTPATH TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 28.48%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 150.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- LIGHTPATH TECHNOLOGIES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LIGHTPATH TECHNOLOGIES INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.02 versus -$0.09 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 250.0% in earnings (-$0.03 versus $0.02).
- The gross profit margin for LIGHTPATH TECHNOLOGIES INC is rather high; currently it is at 52.55%. Regardless of LPTH's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, LPTH's net profit margin of -4.45% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Technology sector as a whole closed the day down 0.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Laggards within the Technology sector included One Horizon Group ( OHGI), down 7.0%, Maxcom Telecomunicaciones SAB de CV ( MXT), down 3.5%, TigerLogic ( TIGR), down 6.8%, LookSmart ( LOOK), down 2.4% and LightPath Technologies ( LPTH), down 2.4%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today: LightPath Technologies ( LPTH) is one of the companies that pushed the Technology sector lower today. LightPath Technologies was down $0.03 (2.4%) to $1.22 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 41,571 shares of LightPath Technologies exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 26,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.20-$1.27 after having opened the day at $1.23 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.25. LightPath Technologies, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, and distributes optical components and assemblies. LightPath Technologies has a market cap of $17.6 million and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are down 8.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates LightPath Technologies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates LightPath Technologies as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on LPTH go as follows: