- SLXP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $284.6 million.
- SLXP has traded 745,023 shares today.
- SLXP is down 3.4% today.
- SLXP was up 15.5% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SLXP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SLXP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SLXP: Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. acquires, develops, and commercializes prescription drugs and medical devices to treat various gastrointestinal diseases in the United States. SLXP has a PE ratio of 161.8. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Salix Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Salix Pharmaceuticals has been 1.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Salix has a market cap of $8.9 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.14 and a short float of 17.3% with 4.24 days to cover. Shares are up 78.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Salix Pharmaceuticals as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SLXP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 4.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 62.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SLXP's share price has jumped by 96.21%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS LTD increased its bottom line by earning $2.14 versus $1.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.16 versus $2.14).
- The gross profit margin for SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS LTD is rather high; currently it is at 62.69%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SLXP's net profit margin of 0.85% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 84.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $21.00 million to $3.28 million.
- You can view the full Salix Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.