- ANR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $38.2 million.
- ANR traded 2.5 million shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:55 AM, representing 25.3% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ANR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ANR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ANR: Alpha Natural Resources, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, is engaged in extracting, processing, and marketing thermal and metallurgical coal in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Alpha Natural Resources a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 11 rate it a hold. The average volume for Alpha Natural Resources has been 7.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Alpha Natural has a market cap of $857.0 million and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.45 and a short float of 29% with 5.74 days to cover. Shares are down 45.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 176.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$185.68 million to -$512.63 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$217.05 million or 10445.47% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.09 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, ANR's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.49, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 36.87%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 176.19% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Alpha Natural Resources Ratings Report.