One Put, One Call Option To Know About for 3M

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is 3M Co (MMM). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the April 2015 expiration for MMM.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $120 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $1.81. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.5% return against the $120 commitment, or a 2.3% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MMM Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to MMM's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless 3M Co sees its shares decline 16.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $118.19 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $1.81 from $120), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 2.3% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the April 2015 expiration, for shareholders of 3M Co ( MMM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.4% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $155 strike and collecting the premium based on the $2.30 bid, annualizes to an additional 2.4% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $155 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MMM shares would have to climb 7.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MMM Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for 3M Co, highlighting in green where the $120 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $155 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2015 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for 3M Co (considering the last 251 trading day MMM historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $144.02) to be 14%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 783,187 contracts, with call volume at 1.71M, for a put:call ratio of 0.46 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Never Buy Stocks Based on Unusual Call Activity: Doug Kass Insider

Never Buy Stocks Based on Unusual Call Activity: Doug Kass Insider

Will Tesla Stock Tumble 33% to $195?

Will Tesla Stock Tumble 33% to $195?

Is Best Buy Sleeping With the Enemy With Amazon Partnership?

Is Best Buy Sleeping With the Enemy With Amazon Partnership?

Video: The S&P 500 Is Failing to Make New Highs

Video: The S&P 500 Is Failing to Make New Highs

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Finish Lower as Apple, P&G Slump

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Finish Lower as Apple, P&G Slump