Shareholders of McGrath RentCorp (MGRC - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2015 covered call at the $40 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.40 bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $40 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MGRC shares would have to climb 9.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of McGrath RentCorp, looking at the dividend history chart for MGRC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.7% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing MGRC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $40 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2015 covered call at the $40 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $40. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for McGrath RentCorp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $36.56) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MGRC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 569,666 contracts, with call volume at 1.02M, for a put:call ratio of 0.56 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Amazon Plans to Offer Free One-Day Shipping With Prime Memberships
Amazon plans to ramp up the new one-day shipping standard throughout 2019.
Jim Cramer: My Bet's on the 'Ladies' in This Year's Draft
Analyzing this year's stock draft contest and individual stock-picking vs. indexing.
Ford Stock Jumps As Automaker Rolls Past Analyst Estimates
Ford shares shifted into overdrive in after-hours trading on Thursday as the No. 2 U.S. automaker cruised to a handy earnings beat.
NY Attorney General To Probe Facebook's Collection of Email Addresses: Report
Facebook uploaded the email contacts of 1.5 million new users without asking permission, but says it was "unintentional."