- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- FIRST HORIZON NATIONAL CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, FIRST HORIZON NATIONAL CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.10 versus -$0.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.85 versus $0.10).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 84.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $42.39 million to $78.32 million.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 12.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, FIRST HORIZON NATIONAL CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, FHN has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
First Horizon National Corporation operates as the bank holding company for First Tennessee Bank National Association that provides various financial services in the United States and internationally. First Horizon has a market cap of $2.74 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. Shares are down 0.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.