This be by Ben Levine for Kapitall. It be for some time now that the media industry has been cryin’ “avast ye!” from the crow’s nest with regard to the growin’ ranks o’ would-be moviegoin’ swabbies who be piratin’ movies and TV shows for free—hornswagglin’ the companies out o’ what they say be their rightful booty. The quarrel even led to a congressional bill, which was proffered in 2011 but took a walk to the briny in 2012 because o’ what the lads and lasses considered its overreaching ambitions and a refusal to parley. In spite o’ ongoin’ fears o’ the dangers that these privateers o’ the online seas pose to the entertainment industry, 2013 box office bounty totals keelhauled the 2012 numbers, handsomely reapin’ $10,923.6 billion in loot, and addin’ some $86 million more to the coffers than the year past. The unfurlin’ o’ annual earnings, though partly brought around by the winds o’ pricier ticket options like 3D and IMAX, has many convinced that piratin’ be nary hurtin’ the movie industry at the box office. At 2013’s end, the piratin’ news site torrentfreak published a measurin’ o’ the movies and shows that were most highly pilfered through the file-sharin’ service BitTorrent an’, what’s more, the estimated number o’ downloads. Even so, the list don’t factor in other methods or file-sharin’ man-o’-wars by which pirates plundered these landlubbers o’ their movies and shows. Adaptin’ the list, we be includin’ the networks, production companies, an’ distributors behind each item o’ the lists: The films:
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Warner Bros. ( TWX) 8.4M (est. downloads)
2. Django Unchained – Weinstein / Columbia ( SNE) 8.1M
3. Fast And Furious 6 – Universal ( CMCSA) 7.9M
4. Iron Man 3 – Disney ( DIS) 7.6M
5. Silver Linings Playbook – Weinstein 7.5M
6. Star Trek Into Darkness – Paramount ( VIA) 7.4M
7. Gangster Squad – Warner Bros. ( TWX) 7.2M
8. Now You See Me - Lions Gate ( LGF) 7.0M
9. The Hangover Part 3 – Warner Bros. ( TWX) 6.9M
10. World War Z – Paramount ( VIA) 6.7M The shows:
1. Game of Thrones – HBO ( TWX) 5.9M (est. downloads)
2. Breaking Bad – AMC ( AMCX) 4.2M
3. The Walking Dead – AMC ( AMCX) 3.6M
4. The Big Bang Theory – CBS ( CBS) 3.4M
5. Dexter – Showtime ( CBS) 3.1M
6. How I Met Your Mother – CBS ( CBS) 3.0M
7. Suits – USA – NBCUniversal ( CMCSA) 2.6M
8. Homeland – Showtime ( CBS) 2.4M
9. Vikings – History – A+E ( DIS) 2.3M
10. Arrow – The CW ( CBS)/( TWX) 2.2M Takin’ a gander at the public trade ships behind the lot o’ these projects, we totaled the estimated sum o’ downloads for each—an’ of course we be takin’ split ownership (like The CW) into consideration—to be formin’ the PirateDex, a list showin’ the most preyed-upon companies o’ the film and television industries, along with the piratin’ totals compared to the size o’ the companies..
An’ while entertainment stocks like these have been long for cryin’ about the fate o’ their bottom lines and hulls, some freebooters think the argument don’t hold much water. Some o’ the grape shot be comin’ from the fact that many o’ the leaked blockbusters with the most illegal plunderin’ are being shared by members o’ the Academy themselves, the scurvy dogs.Do ye think that pirates will soon be scuttlin’ these companies, or could the high seas trade o’ their films and TV shows raise more booty through increased exposure? Take a look at the riggin’ below to begin yer own analysis, but ye better be sure let us know what you think o’ the whole affair in the comments. Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1. Time Warner Inc. ( TWX): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Most recent closing price at $65.01. 29.6M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $58.63B market cap. 2. CBS Corporation ( CBS): Operates as a mass media company in the United States and internationally. Most recent closing price at $66.46. 13.1M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $39.81B market cap. 3. Walt Disney Co. ( DIS): Operates as an entertainment company worldwide. Most recent closing price at $80.73. 9.9M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $142.25B market cap. 4. Comcast Corporation ( CMCSA): Provides entertainment, information, and communications products and services in the United States and internationally. Most recent closing price at $51.15. 10.5M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $133.65B market cap.
5. AMC Networks Inc. ( AMCX): Operates various cable televisions' brands delivering content to audiences and a platform to distributors and advertisers in the United States and internationally. Most recent closing price at $70.07. 7.8M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $5.02B market cap. 6. Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. ( LGF): Engages in the motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, new channel platforms, and digital distribution activities. Most recent closing price at $30.95. 7M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $4.27B market cap. 7. Sony Corporation ( SNE): Designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electronic equipment, instruments, and devices for consumer, professional, and industrial markets worldwide. Most recent closing price at $17.40. 4.1M downloads through BitTorrent (of items on the top 10 lists), with a $18.05B market cap. (List compiled by Ben Levine. Monthly returns sourced from Zacks Investment Research, torrent download information sourced from TorrentFreak, all other data sourced from Finviz.) Kapitall Wire is a division of New Kapitall Holdings, LLC. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of New Kapitall Holdings, LLC. Kapitall Wire offers free investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by New Kapitall Holdings, LLC, and its affiliate companies.