While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Washington REIT (NYSE: WRE) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.50%. Washington Real Estate Investment Trust is an equity real estate investment trust (REIT). The company engages in the ownership, operation, and development of real properties. The firm invests in real estate markets of the greater Washington D.C. metro region. The average volume for Washington REIT has been 344,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Washington REIT has a market cap of $1.8 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 12.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Washington REIT as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- WRE's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- WASHINGTON REIT reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WASHINGTON REIT reported lower earnings of $0.00 versus $0.12 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an increase in earnings to $1.65 from $0.00.
- In its most recent trading session, WRE has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, WASHINGTON REIT's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for WASHINGTON REIT is rather low; currently it is at 21.78%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.49% significantly trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Washington REIT Ratings Report.
- BXMT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 1009.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC is currently very high, coming in at 70.39%. Regardless of BXMT's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BXMT's net profit margin of 50.12% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.25 versus $73.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.99 versus -$0.25).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Blackstone Mortgage Ratings Report.
- RESI's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 1206.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ALTISOURCE RESIDENTIAL CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for ALTISOURCE RESIDENTIAL CORP is rather high; currently it is at 62.57%. Regardless of RESI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RESI's net profit margin of 58.41% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$20.98 million or 547.23% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Altisource Residential Corporation Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.