NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Tibco Software Inc. (TIBX) are up 0.43% to $20.84 after it was reported that the business software company has been approaching potential suitors, including private-equity firms, sources told the Wall Street Journal.
The sale talks come after months of difficulties for Tibco. The company has fallen short of earnings expectations and its Spotfire data software has lost ground to rivals, the Journal said.
Tibco shares closed up 7.51% to $20.75 on very heavy trading volume.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TIBCO SOFTWARE INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TIBCO SOFTWARE INC (TIBX) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.58, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that TIBX's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.90 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 82.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $8.72 million to $1.55 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, TIBCO SOFTWARE INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TIBX Ratings Report