While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Capstead Mortgage (NYSE: CMO) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.60%. Capstead Mortgage Corporation operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.97. The average volume for Capstead Mortgage has been 849,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Capstead Mortgage has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 6.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Capstead Mortgage as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CMO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP reported lower earnings of $0.93 versus $1.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.46 versus $0.93).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Capstead Mortgage Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CVR REFINING LP's earnings per share declined by 47.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CVR REFINING LP increased its bottom line by earning $4.00 versus $2.53 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 3.1% in earnings ($3.88 versus $4.00).
- The share price of CVR REFINING LP has not done very well: it is down 11.64% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $199.20 million or 12.50% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 46.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $339.21 million to $180.00 million.
- You can view the full CVR Refining Ratings Report.
- CMLP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 641.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 70.71% to $58.10 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CRESTWOOD MIDSTREAM PTNRS LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 18.80%.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.50, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that CMLP's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.69, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CRESTWOOD MIDSTREAM PTNRS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CRESTWOOD MIDSTREAM PTNRS LP is rather low; currently it is at 16.16%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.44% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Crestwood Midstream Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.