One Put, One Call Option To Know About for Ford Motor

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Ford Motor Co. (F). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for F.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $10 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 17 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.7% return against the $10 commitment, or a 1.2% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost F Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to F's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Ford Motor Co. sees its shares fall 41.2% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $9.83 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 17 cents from $10), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 1.2% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of Ford Motor Co. ( F) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.9% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $20 strike and collecting the premium based on the 76 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 3.1% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but F shares would have to climb 17.5% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 22% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost F Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Ford Motor Co. , highlighting in green where the $10 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $20 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Ford Motor Co. (considering the last 251 trading day F historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $17.04) to be 20%.

More from Stocks

Tyson Foods CEO: We Aren't Done Making Deals

Tyson Foods CEO: We Aren't Done Making Deals

The Single Biggest Reason Trade War Fears Could Finally Topple the Stock Market

The Single Biggest Reason Trade War Fears Could Finally Topple the Stock Market

Stocks Dive Globally as U.S.-China Trade War Intensifies

Stocks Dive Globally as U.S.-China Trade War Intensifies

5 Stock Picks Under $10 for Millennials

5 Stock Picks Under $10 for Millennials

China Trade War, Google, JD.com, Tesla, Brooks Koepka - 5 Things You Must Know

China Trade War, Google, JD.com, Tesla, Brooks Koepka - 5 Things You Must Know