- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 7.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- GENERAL CABLE CORP/DE has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GENERAL CABLE CORP/DE swung to a loss, reporting -$0.38 versus $0.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.18 versus -$0.38).
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 29.48%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 418.75% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, GENERAL CABLE CORP/DE's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for GENERAL CABLE CORP/DE is currently extremely low, coming in at 8.61%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.61% trails that of the industry average.
General Cable Corporation designs, develops, manufactures, markets, and distributes copper, aluminum, and fiber optic wire and cable products for the energy, industrial, construction, specialty, and communications markets worldwide. General Cable has a market cap of $1.08 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. Shares are down 25.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday.