- Company's 2013"Committed to More"Sustainability Report Highlights Energy, Efficiency andHumanitarian Achievements
- More Commitment to Transparency by Becoming One ofFirst U.S. Companies to Adopt New Comprehensive Level ofSustainability Reporting
- More Reductions as absolute carbon emissions decrease1.5%
- More Lower-Emission Vehicles Hitting the Road as fleetlogged 55 million miles and avoided the use of 5.8 million gallonsof conventional gasoline and diesel
- More than 1.5M gallons of fuel saved annually throughORION Route Optimization
- More Sustainable Supply Chain Options for Customerslike carbon neutral shipping for packages, documents, cargo orfreight to anywhere in world
- More Resilient Global Communities through HumanitarianAid as UPS enabled 250 humanitarian shipments across 46countries
The complete report is available at the company's newsustainability website ups.com/sustainability.More Reductions in CarbonEmissions For the second year in a row, successful execution of UPS'sglobal GHG reduction strategy allowed the company to deliver moregoods, while generating fewer emissions. In 2013, absolute carbonemissions decreased 1.5 percent from 2012, even as global shippingvolume increased 3.9 percent during the same timeframe. More Lower-EmissionVehicles Hitting the Road UPS's current 3,647 alternative fuel and advanced technologyvehicles worldwide continue to drive GHG reductions and serve as a"rolling laboratory" to test, optimize and deploy new-generationvehicles. In 2013, UPS ramped up use of cleaner-burningnatural gas vehicles across the country, adding 249 heavy-dutytractors fueled by liquefied natural gas (LNG) by year's end. The company is on target to deploy more than 1,000 LNG tractors bythe end of 2014. Additionally, UPS's current natural gastractor fleet is running more than 2 million miles per week. In 2013, UPS's alternative fuel and advanced technology vehiclesworldwide logged 55 million miles and avoided the use of 5.8million gallons of conventional gasoline and diesel. Since2000, the fleet has logged more than 350 million miles and avoidedusing 34.5 million gallons of conventional gasoline anddiesel. The savings put the company well on its way toreaching a goal of driving 1 billion miles in alternative fuel andadvanced technology vehicles by the end of 2017. More Than 1.5M Gallons of FuelSaved Annually through ORION Route Optimization Introduced in 2013, the On-Road Integrated Optimization andNavigation (ORION) system is the brains and backbone of UPS's GHGreduction strategy. ORION uses algorithms and fleettelematics to determine the optimum routes for UPS drivers to pickup and deliver that day's packages. Using ORION, UPSoptimized 10,000 routes in 2013 which is expected to result insavings of more than 1.5 million gallons of fuel and 14,000 metrictons of CO2 emissions.
More Sustainable SupplyChain Options for CustomersTo meet growing customer demand for sustainable options thatbalance speed and cost while doing more for the environment andsociety, UPS continues to expand sustainable shipping and supplychain offerings to help customers do more to measure, mitigate andmanage their climate impacts:
- Carbon Impact Analysis - UPS can calculate howmany metric tons of greenhouse gases arise from customer's shippingactivity and advise on how to operate their logistics moreefficiently.
- UPS My Choice® andUPS Smart Pickup® -More than 9 million consumers have signed up for UPS My Choice andmore than 100,000 registered for UPS Smart Pickup. These onlineservices adjust delivery and pickup dates or locations, providingconvenience and avoiding unnecessary miles of driving (andgreenhouse gases) associated with unsuccessful deliveryattempts.
- Validated Carbon Neutral Shipping - UPS carbonneutral shipping allows customers in an easy, low-cost way tooffset carbon emissions associated with shipping packages,documents, cargo or freight to any location across the globe. UPS's carbon calculation methodology is certified by TheCarbonNeutral Company and verified by Société Générale deSurveillance (SGS); offsets include tree planting and biomethanecapture projects that benefit the environment directly.
- Pledging US$1 million to humanitarian relief funding to aidTyphoon Haiyan relief efforts in the Philippines and donated 15,000pounds of medicines and medical equipment and 20,000 tarps to coverroofs of severely damaged homes.
- Transporting in-kind more than 860,000 pounds of food, suppliesand winter clothing for Syrian refugee support, including a UPSrelief flight that carried 220,000 pounds of this emergency aid(food, water, health and sanitation kits) to Iraq to help displacedchildren and families.
- Improving the tracking capabilities for emergency reliefsupplies at the world's largest refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya.
- Helping Superstorm Sandy victims continue to recovereconomically and rebuild homes in 2013 following US$1.75 million infunds and in-kind support.
- Granting US$460,000 to raise awareness among Turkish smallbusiness owners in Istanbul, Turkey, about disaster risks, how toprepare for them and how to respond.
- B-roll of UPS alternative fuel and advanced technologyvehicles, disaster relief, package operations/ORION and communityservice are available on the UPS Pressroom.
- Committed to MoreVideo
- Uberflip - SustainabilityStream
- UPS Social Media channels: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn
CONTACT: Kristen Petrella 404-828-4182 email@example.com