The analyst form also lowered its EPS estimates for the retailer through 2015. Pire 1 Imports' expense ramp will be higher than previously modeled according to Barclays analysts.
Must read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates PIER 1 IMPORTS INC/DE as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate PIER 1 IMPORTS INC/DE (PIR) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- PIR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, PIER 1 IMPORTS INC/DE's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- 40.02% is the gross profit margin for PIER 1 IMPORTS INC/DE which we consider to be strong. Regardless of PIR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.59% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 26.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $20.35 million to $15.06 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $27.13 million or 30.49% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PIR Ratings Report