- The gross profit margin for VIRTUALSCOPICS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.24%. Regardless of VSCP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VSCP's net profit margin of -27.44% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- VSCP has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 6.73% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry and the overall market, VIRTUALSCOPICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- VSCP, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 19.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.1%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- VIRTUALSCOPICS INC has improved earnings per share by 42.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, VIRTUALSCOPICS INC continued to lose money by earning -$1.02 versus -$1.10 in the prior year.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. One out of the three major indices traded up today The three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 1.09 points (0.0%) at 17,086 as of Thursday, July 24, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,410 issues advancing vs. 1,558 declining with 167 unchanged. The Diversified Services industry as a whole closed the day down 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.1%. Top gainers within the Diversified Services industry included Spar Group ( SGRP), up 3.7%, PDI ( PDII), up 4.3%, VirtualScopics ( VSCP), up 1.7%, Birner Dental Management Services ( BDMS), up 1.5% and China Yida ( CNYD), up 4.8%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: VirtualScopics ( VSCP) is one of the companies that pushed the Diversified Services industry higher today. VirtualScopics was up $0.07 (1.7%) to $4.29 on light volume. Throughout the day, 1,009 shares of VirtualScopics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 6,700 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $4.14-$4.29 after having opened the day at $4.14 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.22. VirtualScopics, Inc. provides imaging solutions for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries. VirtualScopics has a market cap of $12.8 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are up 22.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates VirtualScopics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates VirtualScopics as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on VSCP go as follows: