When I previously broke down the Omaha Steaks Grand Pack, I was a bit disappointed to find that the math didn’t quite add up; the same meat could be bought at your local Whole Foods for about $20 less, with no defrosting required. (The one caveat is that I was unable to do a proper taste test to see if Omaha was worth the extra cost.) But that doesn’t mean that you can’t get a good price for mail-order meat.
Earlier today, I came across what looked like a good deal at La Cense Beef: Buy four rib-eye steaks, get four free. You get eight 10-ounce rib-eye steaks for $79.99, plus $15.99 for shipping.
First, let’s compare it to the a la carte price on the site. A single 10-ounce rib-eye goes for $20.31, which comes out to $162.48 if you buy eight. So far, so good.
Now let’s compare the price to the steak at Whole Foods. (Note: I use Whole Foods for comparison because they are known for providing high quality beef, and have locations in most major cities nationwide.) I called Whole Foods and learned that their most expensive rib-eye, the prime boneless, goes for $22.99 a pound. That’s organic angus beef and the employee informed me that it was 80% grass-fed. I didn’t ask what the cows ate the other 20% of the time.
Doing the math, you can get 80 ounces of prime rib eye for $115 at Whole Foods, while you get the same 80 ounces at La Cense for $95, even with shipping costs. This comes out to a savings of $20.
The Wall Street Journal raved about La Cense’s New York strip earlier this year, so I’d have to imagine the quality is there. And on paper, the La Cense steak certainly stacks up to Whole Foods’ offering. La Cense steak is also organic angus beef, and it’s 100% grass-fed, which probably gets repetitive for the cows, but certainly makes the beef healthier.