McDonald’s is recalling about 12 million Shrek drinking glasses due to concerns about potentially poisonous cadmium found in their designs.
The Shrek Forever After 3D collectable drinking glasses were sold between May and June of this year at McDonald’s restaurants nationwide for about $2. The 16-ounce glasses were designed with four character themes: Shrek, Fiona, Puss n’ Boots and Donkey.
Cadmium, which could potentially be more of a hazard than lead, can lead to an increased risk of cancer and other health problems for those exposed to it over the long term.
McDonald’s (Stock Quote: MCD) urges consumers to stop using the glasses immediately and visit the company’s Web site for more on how to get a full refund. Those instructions will not be available until next week, however, according to the Associated Press.
The McDonald's recall follows a recall of Miley Cyrus-themed jewelry last month was found to contain cadmium, which has replaced lead in some paints used in decorations. However, even dietary supplements have recently been found to contain the dangerous heavy metal as well.
For more potentially dangerous products that you might just have in your own home, check out MainStreet's extensive coverage of recalls.