Uncle Sam Wants A Donation

Uncle Sam wants your cold, hard cash so he can get out of his embarrassing $12 trillion in debt. He’ll hit you back, man. Promise. Actually, no. You get nothing in return except your donation can be counted as a tax-deductible contribution. This is the perfect article to send to that annoying friend from college who gets all riled up about the national debt… you know, the guy who sends you fifteen Ron Paul links per week and irritating photos of the national debt calculator.

As CNN reported, “Fiscal year 2009 saw $3.1 million in donations." Only $11,999,996,900,000 to go!

The program, in existence since 1961, isn’t known to many—but there is indeed a “Gifts to Reduce the Public Debt” account you can donate to… should you want to. Here are two ways to give Sam your donation: “One is to send a check directly to the Bureau of Public Debt, an agency within the Treasury Department. The address: Attn: Dept G, Bureau of the Public Debt, P.O. Box 2188, Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188. The other is to include a check -- separate from any tax payment you make -- with your federal income tax return.”

Of course, if you are like most Americans, helping out Uncle Sam probably ranks somewhat lower on the list of priorities than getting yourself out of credit card indentured servitude, saving your immediate family from heartbreaking high-interest debts, paying off student loans, and keeping the power on.

But if there’s some cash left over, now you know exactly where to send it. It’d be kind of cool if Uncle Sam also accepted donations for unwanted clothing, as Goodwill and the Salvation Army do. When you’re $12 trillion in the red, beggars can’t be choosers.

If you liked this article you might like

The Best Fast Food for $1

Insanely Expensive Hospital Bills

The Best Online Savings Accounts

Fabulous Family-Friendly Restaurants

Summer Jobs: Get One Now, Or Risk Unemployment