NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Travelers Companies Inc. (TRV) are down -4.10% to $91.35 after a federal appeals court in New York ruled that the insurer must pay $500 million to plaintiffs in asbestos-related lawsuits, thereby reinstating claims against the insurance company, Bloomberg reports.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates TRAVELERS COS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TRAVELERS COS INC (TRV) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Although TRV's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.25 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market, TRAVELERS COS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- 36.42% is the gross profit margin for TRAVELERS COS INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 15.68% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TRV Ratings Report