One Put, One Call Option To Know About for Wal-Mart Stores

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the March 2015 expiration for WMT.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $67.50 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 88 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.3% return against the $67.50 commitment, or a 2% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost WMT Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to WMT's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. sees its shares decline 11.9% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $66.62 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 88 cents from $67.50), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 2% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the March 2015 expiration, for shareholders of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. ( WMT) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $82.50 strike and collecting the premium based on the 85 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 1.7% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $82.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WMT shares would have to climb 7.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost WMT Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., highlighting in green where the $67.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $82.50 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2015 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day WMT historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $76.62) to be 11%.

More from Stocks

Week Ahead: Trade Fears and Stress Tests Signal More Volatility To Come

Week Ahead: Trade Fears and Stress Tests Signal More Volatility To Come

3 Great Stock Market Sectors Millennials Should Invest In

3 Great Stock Market Sectors Millennials Should Invest In

Why Millennials Are Ditching Stocks for ETFs

Why Millennials Are Ditching Stocks for ETFs

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

Abiomed Stock Should Rise Some 12% From Here, Piper Jaffray Analyst Says

Abiomed Stock Should Rise Some 12% From Here, Piper Jaffray Analyst Says