NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Originating from the city of Tequila, Mexico and derived from the blue agave plant, Tequila is one of the most celebrated spirits in the world.
The Aztec's originally named a drink derived from fermented agave plants octli, or pulque, prior to the arrival of Spanish conquistadors in 1521 who began brewing a similar drink after they ran out of their own brandy.
Mexican law to this day states that the drink can only be made in a handful of southwestern Mexican states. The U.S. officially recognizes spirits labeled 'tequila' if they have been produced in Mexico, but do allow bulk shipments to be bottled in the U.S.
There are two types of Tequilas, mixtos and 100% agave. Mixtos mix glucose and fructose sugars with no less than 51% agave to make the spirit.
The liquor is split into five different categories
- Blanco (white): white spirit, unaged
- Joven (gold): unaged silver tequila that may be flavored with caramel coloring
- Reposado (rested): aged a minimum of two months
- Anejo (aged or vintage): aged a minimum of one year
- Extra Anejo (extra aged): aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels
Here are the 10 best tequila cocktails found anywhere:
Tequila Drink #10: Mayan Mule
- 2 parts Milagro Reposado Tequila
- 0.5 parts Lime Juice
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 3 parts Ginger Beer
- Mint Sprigs and Lime Wheel, for garnish
Tequila Drink #9: Texas Two-Step
1 oz Tequila
2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Triple Sec
Preparation: Shake well, served chilled or with ice